Put the evidence, in the car!
Ah, the lovable, bumbling, incompetent police officer.
For as long as anyone can remember, that's how we like to see them portrayed in books, movies and on TV.
But, where did our perception of the police as, well, idiots come from? I mean, they're just regular people with a regular job doing what the rules of law tell them to, right?
So, it stands to reason that, it's not the police who are stupid, it's the laws.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with that one. And, if you want to know why, continue reading.
*Disclaimer* every single one of these is an actual law, still, technically, on the books and enforceable.
- In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter
- In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk
- In Bahrain, a male doctor can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror
- In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm
- In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except funerals or hospital visits
- In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon
- In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet
- It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament
- In Liverpool England, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store
- Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head
- Florida (accidentally) banned all computers and smart phones in internet cafes
- You may only throw a frisbee at the beach in Los Angeles County, CA with the lifeguard’s permission
- Sex offenders in Illinois are prohibited from participating in holiday events like handing out candy at Halloween or dressing like Santa at Christmas, except under specific circumstances
- It is a violation of the law to sell or distribute drugs or narcotics without having first obtained the appropriate Iowa drug tax stamp
- In Wisconsin, margarine may not be substituted for butter in restaurants unless it is requested by the customer
- Also in Wisconsin, state law made it illegal to serve apple pie in public restaurants without cheese
So, maybe it isn't the police who are stupid, but the laws they are enforcing. Which means, it's the lawmakers who are stupid. (well.....we all knew that, didn't we?)